Thursday, April 17, 2008

Heeeeere Kitty Kitty Kitty!


So, I LOVE our little pond. I love our little fish. I love watching all of the different birds that come to bathe in the top of the waterfall. I have to admit it, I even liked the not-so-little-to-me snakes that lived there, until I found out they were eating our little fish.



Last spring, I loved the two little ducks that used to visit. We even found a nest they had built in the bushes with three eggs inside. One day we came home to a baby duckling swimming all alone in the pond (looks like Mama came to the Bytheway community pond for a playdate and forgot to gather her brood before heading home!) We gathered him up and found his family back at the neighbor's house (a gargantuan pond where dozens of duck families live). It was the cutest thing to watch this little baby find its mom again. But I digress.

They've returned. The ducks. A male and female, anyway. I don't know if they are the same ducks, but it's kinda fun to have them around. Well, at first it was. I remember last spring John said they really were messy and ruined the water. But I still allowed the ducks swim during the day when John was gone because hey, who doesn't like to watch ducks? But only a week or so into my benevolence, the water got WAY murky...and yucky. Seemingly a small price to pay. Ashley even rigged some "trap" for them with a fishing line attached to a magnetic door that she triggered from Andrew's room! Funny.

But not so funny yesterday. John saw them swimming (while I was gone) and tried to walk toward them to scare them. They seemed almost happy to see him! So, he grabbed his air-soft gun to try and scare them. He shot them a couple of times, and they acted like someone had just splashed a few drops of water on them! So he ran toward them trying to scare them, and when they finally flew out of the water, one of them dropped a FISH out if its mouth.
That's it. NOBODY hurts my fish. Now the ducks have reached "snake" status with me.
So, we don't want to injure them, and clearly they're not that scared of us. So, how do you get a duck to leave your fish alone? Get a kitty. One that won't eat fish.


4 comments:

The Mercer Family said...

I'm soooo jealous! You got my exotic white tiger! Where did you get it? Does it eat a lot and is it friendly with the kids? Just curious! lol :))) Hey...when does Ashley get her real cat?...Although yeah..it does pose the problem of how to keep it away from the fish. Rock and a hard spot! :)

Marshall said...

Love the tiger- good thinking!
Let us know if it works :)

I guess I never thought that ducks would not be so welcome... I wouldn't know the first thing about what to do... Maybe call a pet store ro something???

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! You really HAVE been doing this blogging thing...and I'm a bad sister! Fun to see all the cute little things you write about...I'll have to stop by regularly now! I love you & your family and all your cute guts!

Stephanie said...

That is hilarious! I love the tiger idea. My kids loved your pond and fish. I hope they didn't love it too much while we were there. I think they may have done some rearranging.

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...