Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday revelations

I just love Sunday mornings. Especially now that our church doesn't begin until 1:00. At first, admittedly, I was dreading "the late schedule" as others call it, because I wondered if I would be just waiting around all morning, impatiently, to go to church. But actually, I LOVE our Sundays. Today we woke up and baked cookies...something I don't usually do, because we are always running errands, cleaning, or working somehow. But Sundays, I just get to do things with my kids. After we made cookies, we all got dressed and ready.

My kids always put on our "Jesus movies" as we call them, the animated Scripture stories. The tv is still playing, but the kids have moved into the living room.

When Ashley was born, I had visions of pink, dollies, ribbons, pink, butterflies, and more pink. I think I got the butterfly thing right, but the rest...nah. Ashley just doesn't like "girly" things. I didn't realize this until AFTER I sold my soul for a deluxe special edition townhouse dollhouse complete with moving doors, a flickering computer screen in a den, a fireplace that crackles, and a doorbell that rings. It has sat virtually untouched in our basement. I had high hopes for Natalie, but it's an interesting thing...Ashley, being the oldest, seems to direct so much of the sibling play, that the dollhouse really only gets used when Elizabeth, Abby, or Madelyn come over to play. Oh well.



That is, until today. Andrew dragged it upstairs, and now, all three (and sometimes Matthew) of the kids are playing happily. It's fun to sit in another room, unnoticed, and listen in to the conversations your kids have. One of the funniest things I heard was the following: From what I can gather, Andrew is the mom, because we have no "boy" dolls. Ashley is the 16-year-old daughter, and Natalie is the neighbor friend. Ashley invited Natalie to go swimming at the community pool. As they were going, Andrew asked "Why don't I get to go?" Ashley replied, "You're the mom. You don't get to do fun things. You have to stay home and...well...take care of the baby." (Andrew protested: "But I don't HAVE a baby!")

Aaaahhhh...how funny to picture motherhood through their eyes, and to realize they have NO idea the JOY and pure happiness that being a mom brings. I love my job, and well, even if I don't get into the community pool (barring a certain dolphin-like image my thighs bring to mind...) I think I have ALL the REAL fun! My joy is them!...and watching them "play" house.

(John spoke in church today, and said that HE overheard the kids playing and heard someone say, "I'm home!" The other child replied, "it's 6:00! You said you'd be home at 5:00!" to which the first child responded "well, there was a traffic jam...")

5 comments:

The Mercer Family said...

HEHE How funny! Seriously...kids get the funniest ideas about adult life! That's fun that they have such vivid imaginations though! (Andrew being the mom! :)) ) Holden had fun playing with it too...does that mean my girls are gonna be tom boys too? That's how I grew up- building tree houses and playing in the gutter! :) Look how well I turned out! I hope my girls follow in my footsteps! :)

Except..I did have thoughts of my little girls being dancers and singers on the way home tonight! We'll see!

Marshall said...

Marshall and I are slowly realizing that Ava hears absolutely EVERYTHING that we say... and she repeats EVERYTHING too! I've had to come up with some crazy stories to make her think she misunderstood what I said... it only works some of the time.
It's almost like she can sense that I REALLY DON'T want her to repeat it, and she gets a big smile on her face and says it over and over and over. At least at this stage, we can correct it fast so it's not too embarrassing!

Kristi said...

Sorry about the spoiler Kim-I thought I was safe since we are going on season 4-just wait though...your gonna love it!-Darling post-love keeping in touch!

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name's Tiffany, and I'm the world's worst blogging friend/sister!

But I'm slowly making the blogging rounds after having Kate! Cute post...blog some more!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm just commenting to give you a little nudge back into the blogging world. You're just too busy doing all those fun things with the kids!

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...