Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Editor in Chief

Andrew makes me laugh. One year at the end of school, I had him write a note to his teacher. I made wooden boards for the teachers then wanted the kids to write messages on the back with marker. Ashley's was short and sweet...She did hers on her own. Andrew needed help, but we were trying to rush out the door, so I was calling out suggestions on what he could say to his teacher to make it personal. I told him to tell her something that he liked about her...her smile, her laugh, etc. Well, as we ran out the door, I quickly read over the message (THANKFULLY!) and it said in part, "I like your body." Now, this young girl probably dressed the way you may expect a runway model to dress, not a kindergarten teacher, so I completely understood how that must have impressed a little 6-year-old...but NOT the message I wanted to be written forever on the back of her gift!...I tried to mark it out, but he had dented the wood slightly in the process...I had him cross it out and write "smile" and sent him out the door.

That afternoon, I pulled her aside, and we both had a pretty good chuckle over the whole thing.

Aahhhh...For the first day of School this year, I sent the kids with Caramel Apples for their teachers, and instructed them to write something simple like "An apple for the teacher on the first day of school" or whatever. Well, Andrew, the free-thinker wrote the following:



Here's a closer look:



"Thank you for helping me learn what I need to know. Your reward is: (picture of a caramel apple.) You know what it is now, I hope. Love, Andrew.

Looks like I need to add "editor" to my job description...

4 comments:

Marshall said...

Okay, I just have to tell you I read this while I was in class - income tax, no less - and laughed out loud when I read the "body" comment. This is hilarious. That's what I get for browsing the web in class. Andrew, you're so funny!

Anonymous said...

That is one for the memory books!!!! So funny. I love that kid.

Kristi said...

Very funny! He is very observant! So great that you are writing this down, he'll chuckle at this later in life! :)

The Mercer Family said...

That is hilarious. What an honest kid! Just say it how it is! lol Funny stuff!

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...