Monday, September 08, 2008

Four out of Six...ain't bad!

I went through a weird stage. This year marks the 5th year I've been going through the "school" ritual. You know, the lunches, baths, hair, clothes, shoes...the whole bit. But for some reason, this year felt strange, like I went through it for the first time. Not that it's hard, but it just felt "new" for some reason. Maybe it's because we had an amazingly fun and long summer. But all good things must come to an end.

And so, although 10 days later than most kids in our neighborhood, our children started school. This year, Matthew entered the ranks of his older siblings, going 5 half-days to pre-school. Having a few extra days to prepare for this event, I wasn't very emotional in the morning...until they drove away (with Daddy) and then I walked into a mostly silent home. Wow. I didn't realize how much "excitement" we had going on all summer until those four left. Now, it's so QUIET! And I can understand now what Jennifer, Natalie, Carrie, and Amy must feel like MOST of the time with so few children around. Amazing.

I spent my new-found freedom on Thursday cleaning. It's been a long time since I did that by myself with all the kids gone! And although I could have used the shopping experience alone with just two little ones that actually STAY in the grocery cart, I just relaxed.

Then I went to pick them up. That's when I fought back the tears. I realized how much I completely MISSED them throughout the day. I didn't want to be a blubbering mother on pick-up, so I sucked it in and forced myself to only give them monstrously and unbelievably crushing hugs (a little too prolonged for my kids' comfort) before I pointed out the waiting car...with an overly-excited Timothy inside.

And now, Monday, the third day of school, I'm back in the routine...sending very very elated children out the door to see their teachers and friends, and I walk back into my mostly quiet home, and all I can say is..."four out of six ain't bad!"

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hoping you enjoy your quiet moments. Darling kids- they look so well behaved. I know what you mean about missing them when they are gone. Each one adds so much to a family.Glad you had a fabulous summer and are finally posting again! :)

Stephanie said...

It is always bitter-sweet to start a new school year. I have 6 in school and 1 in preschool 3 days a week. The house is so quiet, which is great for the little ones to get more mommy time and for me to get more chores done, but we all sure miss the big kids. The first day of school Daniel(4) asked me to call the school and have them send the kids home.

Your kids looks so cute in their uniforms.

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...