Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It Was an Accident!

I have to admit, sometimes I'm a "distracted driver." I never do anything particularly dangerous, but I confess, I sometimes do my make-up in the car. I do the stuff I have to look in the mirror for at stop lights, but I'll do sunblock and powder or even blush while I drive, because I can keep my eyes on the road.

But yesterday, I was attentive. In fact, I was being a GOOD driver. But Harold wasn't. I was approaching an intersection in the long left-turn lane, when Harold on my right (and slightly ahead of me) decided at the last minute to jump from his lane, skip ACROSS mine, and go to Holiday Oil for some gas (he was only a quarter of a tank low.) Well, Harold forgot to look in his rear-view mirror....and couldn't HEAR my BLASTING horn honking...and...he side-swiped me.

Truthfully, he got the worst of it: damage to driver door, rear door, and back fender. You can see my pain below:



So, I called the cops, then John to go and get Matthew from school (I knew I wasn't going to be out of there any time soon). Harold got out of his car apologizing. I felt bad for him, and told him everything was ok, and that "accidents happen". He told me the worst part for him was that he had just gotten his car back from the body shop 5 days ago from running into a concrete wall. hmmm....

The policeman had me draw a picture of my version of the accident. Amy, I coulda used your talent here!

So, that's it. I havent' gotten the estimates yet, but I'm guessing thousands of dollars of damage (bumper and fender both damaged.)

As I left, I didn't know what to say to Harold. The cop gave him a ticket for "improper lookout" and I felt bad. I simply told him that I hoped he had a better "rest of the day." After all, "it was an accident."

5 comments:

Marshall said...

Oh, Kim! I'm so sorry! I should've gotten off the phone a lot sooner so you could have avoided Harold on the road! I'm glad you were okay... and good luck with the car... :(

Kristi said...

Ouch! I am glad you all are okay. There sure are a lot of Harold's out there! Glad he was civil.

Stephanie said...

It is aweful how shaken up an accident can make you feel. I am sorry about your car but glad you and Harold are ok.

The Mercer Family said...

That was cool of you to be nice about it- I'm sure he felt bad enough...except...the fact that he just got his car back from another accident...maybe he did deserve a strong word or two! hehe

It's just like when I got my car. I had ony had it for a couple of weeks and some stupid teenager comes barreling at me in reverse in a TINY parking lot...and also didn't notice my horn blarring at him. Then he told me he didn't want to call the cops cause he had just gotten in an accident the week before and his parents would have killed him! hehe Seriously... UGH! lol

Harold, Harold, Harold...they are everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Glad it was minor...that is a sickening feeling! Glad you're ok. And Carrie, I hope you didn't fall for the old, "Let's not call the cops" thing.

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...