Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Eight Wasn't Enough

I'm not really an animal person. In fact, I'm allergic to cats. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the lady who owned our condo before us had a bazillion cats, no kitty litter, and no sense of smell. When John moved in before we were married, he replaced ALL the carpet, repainted, and even sealed the concrete before laying the carpet to remove the smell. It didn't work. Well, at least, it only worked until we spilled something wet on the carpet, then the resurrected smell of those ill-mannered kitties came rushing back.

One day we visited my parents, and after holding their cat, I realized that my eyes were itchy and my nose stuffy. I started to recognize the pattern and soon realized that I was allergic.

So, when Ashley at a very young age started LOVING animals, I started feeling a dilemma. As early as 2 and 3 years old, she wasn't into princesses like most little girls. She loved bugs. She loved animals. To this day, whenever we talk of Christmas gifts, or browse a toy store, she heads straight for the stuffed animals. But I've never wanted a pet. It killed me to think that the thing Ashley wanted the most was something that I really didn't want to give her.

Rewind one year. Ashley has gorgeously thick hair, with just a hint of curl. It's a wonderful combination...if you're not trying to brush it. For years she HATED when I did her hair, trying to get through the tangles. It was bad for us both. She always left for school in tears from me doing her hair. So, when she turned 9, I made a deal with her.

I told her if she showered every single day...using conditioner and making sure her hair was silky smooth when I went to brush it, then in one year I would allow her to get a cat. It had to be a year away, because I was thinking that we would have a baby, I would nurse, and would probably have to take allergy medication for the cat...I figured ANYTHING was better than our daily hair-doing trauma.

Fast forward. She wasn't supposed to get her cat until October, but we decided to surprise her and get it earlier than the year mark...so, we "dropped in" to the humane society, and found a gorgeous, mellow, sweet little black kitten. Ashley fell in love, and now she is everyone's best friend.

So, without further adieu: Heeeeeeeeeeeere's "Shadow".

2 comments:

Marshall said...

Liked the title of you post, Kim. ;-) I look forward to seeing the little kitty!

Anonymous said...

And she is darling! My kids keep asking when we can go play with Shadow again!

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...