Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Konnichiwa!

John and I just got home from a week in Japan! I knew I was in for adventure when I married John, but I had no idea the places we would see throughout our lifetime. We are so lucky and blessed!

Our dear friends, Rich and Corina Clark invited us to attend their Youth Conference 13 years ago in Japan. Now they are back living there, and put in charge of Youth Conference again! So, with the help of my amazing family who offered to babysit our 6(!) kids (THANKS MOM AND AMY AND MARSHALL AND JENNIFER!!!) we agreed to speak, which turned from Youth Conference into also visiting the Tokyo missionaries as well as speaking to a couple of groups for the American School in Japan. It was so much fun!!!

We began our trip with a rather long train ride from the airport, but in Japan, most people don't own cars, and trains are the only way to go! By the end of the vacation, we were pros! Loved this sign posted in the train station. This is typical of their culture...so RESPECTFUL of everyone around you. I bet I could count on two fingers the pieces of litter I saw the ENTIRE TRIP.

Having "American" breakfast in Japan (thanks to our hosts, Rich and Corina!)

We met for Youth Conference outside the Tokyo Temple! The Angel Moroni is a new addition since our visit 13 years ago. Our friends, Rich and Corina Clark
We headed to Youth Conference, about an hour away from the city of Tokyo (little side-note: they do NOT heat this facility. Bring battery-powered socks next time.)

Our traditional "futons" on the floor
I loved the slogan on this ice-cream vending machine in the cafeteria: "Good taste, health and happiness. With the angel, the messenger of happiness, as our symbol, we have contributed to a richer life." Oh.

Eating "cafeteria style". (note: do not be fooled. In a room that was probably 50 degrees, the Japanese "spaghetti" was cold...as was the rest of the food. Good thing they serve hot rice and miso soup! Too bad I didn't have my camera ready when we ate the Nato...fermented beans. No need to say more.) But we LOVED the curry!
But the rest of the time in Japan we ate like KINGS! Our new friends, the Hymases (sp?) took us for a really nice dinner of (I forget the traditional Japanese name) some pork, breaded and fried...SO AMAZINGLY GOOD! Check me out with the chopsticks!
I forget what this was called. It was like really stiff jello in texture, but SO GOOD!
Our amazing dinner
Sister Hymas (this woman is around 60. WHAT????!!! She is so BEAUTIFUL!)

If I remember correctly, this is tofu. It was so yummy with the ginger on top!
We also tried another little place. They served Kimchi (LOVED IT) and we cooked our own meat on a little hibachi grill. SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD! (These are the LEFTOVERS! You wouldn't believe the rest of the meal. Huge, even by American standards.)

Hard Rock Cafe Tokyo. (I laughed out loud at King Kong when I saw him).

Visiting an observatory with an overview of the city of Tokyo. I'm not sure what motivated the "spider" artwork outside. Up close, you can even see an egg sac. (I think the camera caught John off-guard.) From the top of the tower, you can see the Tokyo Tower in the background. It was a bit overcast, but we could see the base of Mt. Fuji from here!
We left the Clark's home and stayed with the Millers. What gracious people all of our hosts were! We are so lucky to meet so many great people! Their neighbor, Diane Harris took us to a nearby shrine.
We drank the Holy Water
and just enjoyed the tranquility of this place inside the buzzing city outside.
We were luky enough to be there during the Cherry Blossom festival. It was FREEZING outside, and we were rushing to get to church on time, but saw these beautiful Japanese dancers and grabbed a quick picture.
We are so thankful for the people who made our trip possible, and for all of the new friends we made! We love you all! Thanks Family, old friends, and new friends! Domo Arigato!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowza! How amazing to get to go on such a trip! I'm glad I got to read about it and see all your neat photos!

Christina said...

out of control FUN!!!

i was so laughing when u described tofu--im thinking..um hello is she talking about TOFU!? how does she NOT EVEN KNOW what tofu is?!?!?!?

Jon is SO going to LOVE this post--he misses Japan--said he would take me back..but how is a braziliam born meat eater going to survive a week in Japan?!?!?!?

Doing it for Me...(and them...)

Selling a home or not: Ideas for refreshing your living space I remember someone once remarked that sometimes we only update things in our...